Wednesday, March 08, 2006

What a great way to start the day

Here's part of an email I had waiting for me when I woke up this morning:

I know I didn’t really say too much in your class this last eight weeks but I thought I’d tell you a little story. So, I went to what I thought was my 2:30pm class and was about to step through the door until I remembered that it was over.... I just wanted to thank you for being such a great teacher. There was not a day that passed when I didn’t look forward and get excited to be in your classroom and I feel that it’s a shame that more students don’t feel that way about their professors. Although our short eight-week course is over, you’ve impacted my life and I thought I’d thank you for it.

All the grading and lecture prepping and meeting with students who obviously are not trying very hard in class fade away when you get an email like this. I know that this blog is mostly about research (or is supposed to be), but teaching is a big part of what my week is devoted to. There is the teaching of the craft of research to graduate students, of course. But there is also teaching in the undergraduate classroom--helping them to not only have enthusiasm for the Telecommunications Industry, but also to be able to assess common practices critically.

As with anyone, I sure do love affirmation.
Makes me forget it's forcast to rain most of today! :(

No comments: