Thursday, October 04, 2007

Trying to do better

I've been trying to be more consistent about writing.
And, it's been working. More than it has in my recent memory.
Just finished a book chapter with two colleagues, and a journal submission with two others.
Now, I'm working on a journal article that has sat in my "to do" pile for longer than I'm even willing to admit to you.

And, this may be the best part, I'm actually ENJOYING writing again. That hasn't been a feeling I've associated with writing for a long time.

But...one of the reasons I must attribute my improved attitude AND productivity to is that I've stopped doing what, apparently, also afflicts Rob Long of Martini Shot. Listen to this podcast episode (it's only about 3 minutes long) here:

http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/ma/ma070919check_email

Or, you can also read the transcipt there as well...but even though the guy's a writer, his delivery on this is wonderful.

3 comments:

Samuel D. Bradley said...

Rob, this is awesome.

Do you know what would be really helpful? If you would post a solution of how to stop doing this?

The grand irony, of course, is that I came across this doing exactly what he described.

You'll have to excuse me now. I have to check my e-mail.

theaudioprof said...

Yeah, I know...I checked mine right after I posted the blog entry!

One thing that has worked for me...sorta...is NOT having it constantly open on my desktop. I open it and check it once (and only once) an hour.

I also keep a Post-It note on my desk to jot down people I think of that I must email...so I can do it NEXT HOUR!!

Samuel D. Bradley said...

I admire you Rob. I think that I would have DTs if I tried to quit cold turkey like that.

Oh, darn it. I have to get back to writing that exam study guide.