Sunday, January 14, 2007

Cool NPR story only gets my hopes up

I mentioned several postings ago about how much I was enjoying my new ipod nano. I don't use it much for music, so far (I keep telling myself that all of that will change once I start working out more...yeah, right). Instead, it use it fo listening to pod casts. A recent one on NPR's Pop Culture
talked about a new audio recognition program that allows you to hum a tune that you can't identify and it will name it for you. If you don't want to listen to the podcast, you can hear the story right here.

So, I've been waiting to try it and have it work as easily as it sounded to during the Scott Simon piece. Unfortunately, it was less than impressive. It may be simply because I'm the Tone Def Prof. But, even songs that I KNOW are in their database I was unable to get it to correctly identify when I hummed them.

With the exception of "Holding Back the Years" by Simply Red. Frightening.

Check out the program yourself...let me know if your humming is more easily identified.

No comments: