Thursday, December 01, 2005

More on the kid's media survey

I was able to take a look at the public report of kids media usage and preferences, which was discussed in the Radio & Records article from a few days ago. The company that did the research was MediaMark and you can see a copy of the public press release by clicking here.

Turns out I wasn't off base on the perceptions I have of COLLEGE STUDENTS use of radio for music. The media mark research was done on kids age 6-11. And, as you can see, most of them do access music via the car radio. Now, this could be a function of that being the only media source they have access to. . .although almost two-thirds say they have gone online in the last 30 days and I can't imagine they don't have CD players, etc.

So, if you take these results with my ongoing observation of students in my classes...one conclusion is that radio is doing an awful job of making itself a source of importance in the lives of kids as they grow up. They start out listening from ages 6-11...but then they go.

1 comment:

drdon said...

Also, there's the shower, and when cleaning their rooms. At least that's what I observe with my kids.

But I should also add that they grew up with the radio as it was on quite a bit around our house, especially in the the car on drives to/from school. When they were between 6 - 11, we'd listen to a kids station - I think it was produced by Disney.